The Joker is one of the most intriguing characters of the DC universe. The character hasn’t been brought to life only once before but multiple times by multiple actors. While not all of the incarnations were successful, these actors have brought something unique to the character. Their portrayal and these 10 bizarre facts about actors will leave you in terror and awe:
1. Jack Nicholson’s Joker in Batman 1989 is one of the strongest portrayals of the character and also the most underrated ones. Along with the actor’s performance, the actor’s look was equally terrifying. Interestingly, the actor had a lot of freedom with the character and its look.
2. Cesar Romero played the character in Batman 1966; however, the portrayal was quite different from any other. The character in the movie was rather a comical prankster instead of a terrifying villain. In addition, the actor playing it didn’t want to shave his mustache, which makes them look funnier.
3. For The Joker’s voice in Batman: The Animated Series, we would have heard Tim Curry’s voice instead of Mark Hamill. Before Mark Hamill got the part, Tim Curry had signed it, but he was diagnosed with bronchitis, and his impression was too scary.
4. Most Batman fans will vote for Mark Hamill’s impression of Joker as their favorite. However, the bizarre thing the actor did to nail his performance was to “stand up.” While all the others sat in their booths, Mark Hamill just couldn’t sit for his voice-over.
5. Roger Stoneburner’s Joker in the TV show Birds of Prey wasn’t a hit, and neither was the show. The Joker’s appearance in the show was a cameo in a flashback and killed Barbara Gordon.
6. Another one of the most outstanding portrayals of the Joker is Heath Ledger. The way he prepped for his performance as the Joker is no secret, however. The Oscar-winning performance had us all awestruck. Aaron Eckhart says that Ledger was always in character in between the takes, too and the choreography of the scenes was effortless.
7. Cameron Monaghan’s Jeremiah Valeska in Gotham had a very little resemblance with the Joker, which was demanded by Warner Bros. A lot of the Joker’s typical elements had to be scaled down, and it really wasn’t the Joker.
8. Jared Leto has a lot of unreasonable rumors surrounding him while he was playing the Joker. One such is a weird one that says that he sent a dead rat to Margot Robbie, which is untrue, by the way, in case you bought it too.
9. The three performances by Mark Hamill, Heath Ledger, and Jack Nicholson are loved by everyone, and they inspired Anthony Ingruber. His voice brought a unique incarnation to life in Batman: A Telltale Series and The Enemy Within.
10. Joaquin Phoenix’s portrayal of the Joker is the most famous after Joker and also got him an Oscar for his exhilarating performance. However, Todd Philips and Joaquin Phoenix have kept ambiguity about his true nature, and that’s even mysterious about The Clown Prince of Crime.
Which one is favorite portrayal of the character? Tell us in the comments.