Even if horror movies scare the hell out of us, agree or not, we still sit down to enjoy the thrill and suspense. Well, which I supposedly believe that the purpose of the horror movie is getting accomplished. The straightforward point of these movies is to scare the audience. However, sometimes the antagonist takes the form of a human, animal, or something supernatural. But sometimes, the film succeeds by not displaying the antagonist whatsoever. Although, one can argue that the invisible threat is more dangerous and thrilling than we see. It’s because the darkness is so terrifying. After all, it’s unknown to our senses. So for all the thrill and horror lovers, here are 10 horror movies that are so brilliantly made that they never actually show the villain.
1. The supernatural entity, Apeth in His House, is a revenge-taking deformed misshapen creature. The movie is about the horrors of war in which the ghost from their past haunts Bol and Rial. But this supernatural entity is not much of a threat as there is an attempt at righting the immoral.
2. 10 horror movies include Paranormal Activity where the demon only reveals itself in a split-second frame after the movie turns black. The demon in the movie makes us feel its presence through sounds or furniture motions and later takes control over Katie’s body.
3. 10 horror movies include The Witch, in which the absolute horror isn’t from any supernatural being but from the psychological collapse of the family. There are witches in the movie that repeatedly appear for a brief period and in flashes in the ending.
4. The demon in the movie Bird Box only appears in front of the characters and not the audience. When the unknown entity appears in front of anyone, it forces them to commit suicide.
5. 10 movies also include Under the Shadow. The Djinn that appears in an endless piece of fabric threatens Shideh’s as well as her daughter’s life.
6. In the movie Gerald’s Game, although there’s no such supernatural entity or the demon, Jessie’s hallucinations are hell lot scarier than anything. When an unexpected heart attack kills Gerald, it leaves Jessie hallucinating her husband’s reincarnation and about the moonlight man, who, in the end, appears to be a serial killer.
7. The invisible demon in Oculus is an innocent-looking antique mirror that lures and deceives its gazers. The mirror manipulates and deceives whoever looks into the beautiful dusty gaze. No matter what, one always gets tricked by the mirror and ends up foiling at every turn.
8. The demon-King, Paimon in Hereditary repeatedly appears through the characters in the movie. The demon appears when Annie wants to contact her daughter, unknowingly inviting supernatural trouble and so the demon captures them and controls their bodies.
9. The storyline of The Mist provides a philosophy that being present is not the same as being accounted for is. The movie reveals how much people depend upon their sense of sight. When people throw away the villain in the mist, covering the entire town impedes their reaction time and survival knowledge.
10. The demonic entity in It Follows takes the form of different things and those who will be the next victims. The demonic creature can be imposed on other people through coitus, and this is how Jaime and Greg fall into the trap of the demon, leading to Greg’s violent murder.
Also, watch the teaser for The Matrix 4 Resurrections here: