Sometimes filmmakers decide to revisit their films or even release alternative cuts to show their real vision better. Surely, some movies with the alternative or the original ending would have been better. Let us look at 10 movies that have a different (& better) alternate ending you didn’t know about.
1. Rambo: First Blood: However, the original ending saw Rambo commit suicide in front of his colonel. The original film ended with a peaceful resolution. As his former commander arrives to help deescalate the situation. However, after filming the ending, both the director and the star decided to keep him alive. This resulted in a slew of sequels that strayed far from the original’s theme.
2. Evil Dead: Army of Darkness: With the help of a magic potion, Ash returned to the present day. He was able to resume his job at S-Mart to continue fighting evil. Unfortunately, the original ending had Ash miscalculate the number of drops he needed to take. He woke up in a dark post-apocalyptic future overrun by the Evil Dead, which fit the character’s arc far better.
3. Justice League: With Zack Snyder’s Justice League, Snyder was given another chance to bring his original vision to fans. This included the restoration of several key character development scenes. In addition, the introduction of the long-awaited Black Suit Superman and the demonstration of The Flash’s true potential with amazingly visual time-travel ending wowed fans.
4. Blade Runner: The Studio changed and edited Blade Runner strongly before it was released. This eventually changed the focus of the film and ended happily as Harrison Ford’s Deckard and Rachel’s replicant left town for a new life. However, the Blade Runner Final Cut wipes out the unnecessary voice-over from the theatre and the cozy mountain-side drive.
5. Pineapple Express: The heroes survived the final battle and formed a stronger friendship in the original ending. They survived the final battle in the alternate ending. But, they were violently gunned down after debating whether or not they would be able to kill all of the criminals. In a darker but more realistic ending, the two friends die together, holding hands.
6. The Butterfly Effect: In the original ending, Evan fixes the timeline so that everyone was alright. However, in the director’s cut, Evan is seen suffering due to brain damage. The reason being his innumerable trips to the past. So once again, he uses his ability to travel back in the womb of his mother. He does so to strangle himself with his umbilical cord to eradicate himself.
7. The Little Shop of Horrors: Seymour ends the film by electrocuting Audrey II, alien venus fly trap, and living happily ever after with the real Audrey. Audrey II kills Seymour and Audrey in the original ending. This happens before it spreads around the world and takes over the planet.
8. I Am Legend: In the original end, he discovered a cure for Dark Seekers. But he offered his life to ensure that others lived. In the alternate ending, Neville survives. The Darkseekers realize that Neville was bringing them into the experiment. The experiment resulted in developing more of the movie’s “monsters.” After he realized he had been the true monster of the story, he abandons his experiments.
9. The Descent: The studio cut off one minute from the end of the USA, which saw Sarah, the only survivor, escape from the cave. The UK’s end showed that her escape was indeed a dream. She woke back up as Crawlers walked around her in the tunnels.
10. Clue: Three different endings were filmed. Each with a different resolution and theatre showings played random cuts to keep moviegoers guessing.
These were 10 Movies That Have A Different (& Better) Alternate Ending You Didn’t Know About. Which one is your favorite?
Also, don’t forget to watch the teaser trailer of Spiderman: No Way Home.