Ending a movie is equally challenging as building an entire plot. Instead, we think it takes more thought and effort to write an ending. It has to be a deserving end to both the protagonists and antagonists and turn out to be an iconic one. Here are 11 popular films that had different endings initially, but they were scrapped and what we experienced was something more iconic.
1. Legally Blonde initially had a different ending where Elle kisses Emmett, and then the future Elle version appears distributing Blonde Legal Defense Fund pamphlets. However, during the screen testing, the audience didn’t feel that the end was exciting enough.
2. Get Out has one of the most iconic endings ever. But it wasn’t like that originally. The movie was going to end with Chris’s arrest, but that wasn’t received well by the screen testing audience. So it was then changed to him not becoming the victim of racism.
3. Speed movie had an even dramatic ending, but it was initially a shorter version before the Fox Studio asked the screenwriter, Yost, to make it longer. And thus, we saw the elevator sequence and the nail-biting action in the subway.
4. The original ending of the popular Disney film, Lion King, was much darker for kids to watch. It would’ve definitely become a traumatizing experience for them, and that’s why it was changed. Scar pushes Simba off the rock, and Simba burns to death. So it was trashed, and a new one was written.
5. In Happy Death Day, Tree was originally going to be killed again and was stuck in a time loop. But, unfortunately, the ending was far than loved and pissed off the audience, so Landon changed it. And then we saw that Lori was the killer.
6. At the end of James Gunn’s Suicide Squad, Peacemaker and Polka-Dot man both were supposed to die. Polka-Dot man also initially wasn’t going to become the hero, but James Gunn changed his mind about him and Peacemaker. He found Peacemaker’s character intriguing, so he kept him alive.
7. The ending of Escape Room we saw was terrific. However, if it wasn’t for this one, the originally written ending wasn’t as good. As a result, it did not receive a good response from the test audience.
8. Titanic is one of the most popular films and one of those with different endings now. Instead, it had Rose toss the diamond into the ocean, with everyone yelling “No.” However, while editing, Cameron realized how poor it was and changed it.
9. Pretty in Pink initially had Andie ending with her friend Duckie and not Blaine. But when the screen test audience saw it, the girls from the audience didn’t like it and instead wanted her to end up with the cute guy Blaine. So they reshot, and it became widely popular.
10. Fatal Attraction’s ending had us all in shock and is also one of the most successful endings. But the original one probably wouldn’t have given the same amount of success the current one did. It had Alex kill herself and frame Dan for her murder. The test audience didn’t like it and would have rather had her killed. So they did just that, even though Glenn Close didn’t agree at first.
11. Deep Blue Sea initially had a different ending where the scientist who experimented with the sharks survived. But since the audience hated it, they reshot it by killing her.
Watch more on our channel!