Not every Hollywood star was discovered simply on the first audition they ever had. Some of the biggest faces in showbiz made their way up by playing extras in films we didn’t even notice them in. Take a look at 15 famous actors who started as extras:
1. Ben Affleck made an appearance as an extra Basketball player on one of the episodes of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. Although he did have a dialogue, it ended up being dubbed over.
2. Regé-Jean Page who rose to global fame with his English drama Bridgerton was once playing an extra in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. You can spot Page in the background of Bill and Fleur’s wedding.
3. Julianne Hough who we all know from Dancing With The Stars was also in the Harry Potter series as an extra. She was spotted cheering for Gryffindor Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Julianne was trying her hands at acting initially but became successful as a dancer.
4. Channing Tatum was a nobody until Step Up came out. In Tom Cruise’s War of the Worlds, you can spot him running alongside Cruise as an extra. Tatum even had a dialogue in that scene where the church gets blown up but it ended up being cut.
5. Before he got his big break with This Is Us or Heroes, Milo Ventimiglia showed up as a ‘party guest’ on an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Technically he isn’t an extra, as he does have a dialogue. Milo even explained it as his “first real Hollywood paycheck.”
6. Steve Carell made a small appearance in the 1991 John Hughes movie Curly Sue as a steward. “I shot for three days and I was incredibly excited, and I couldn’t have been more nervous,” Steve said.
7. Before she won the first season of American Idol, Kelly Clarkson was playing the role of an extra on the teenage sitcom Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
8. If you were an avid watcher of Degrassi High: School’s Out, you might be able to spot Grey’s Anatomy star Sandra Oh playing the role of a waitress in the background of one of the episodes.
9. Megan Fox made an appearance as “Stars-and-Stripes Bikini Kid Dancing Under Waterfall” in Will Smith’s action-comedy Bad Boys II. Her casting however pulled criticism, as she was only 15-years-old at the time.
10. Jon Hamm was cast in the second episode of Ally McBeal as “Gorgeous Guy at Bar.” He described his casting process, “I was literally picked out of a line of people where the guy was walking down the line and was like, ‘Eh, you!'”
11. Bridget Jones star Renée Zellweger appeared in a number of scenes as an extra in Dazed and Confused. Renée and even shared a common agent with Matthew McConaughey who was also a struggling artist back then.
12. Bruce Willis sat as an extra in the courtroom scene of the 1982 trial drama The Verdict.
13. Even Saw star Tobin Bell sits in that court as an extra.
14. Kristen Stewart was just 10 years old when she did the role of “Ring Toss Girl” in The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas