Shows killing their main characters is always a tricky situation to recover from. They might never know how the viewers take it. Here’s the list of 16 times shows were the killing of main characters, and that eventually killed off the main show.
1. Ruby in Once Upon A Time: The religious nature of the character and the charisma brought by Ruby gave the show more depth.
2. Cristina in Grey’s Anatomy: According to Shonda Rhimes, Cristina and Meredith were true love stories. However, in season 10, Cristina’s departure was the most significant dividing factor between the old and new Grey.
3. Eric in That ‘70s Show: After Eric’s departure in season 8, he got replaced by Randy, who could not keep up with Eric’s sweet-hearted one-liners nor the sarcastic jokes. The show went downhill after he left, as he was the heart of the show.
4. Fiona in Shameless: Watching her downfall with all the misfortune coming to her was hurtful and gave her strength in moving the family forward. She was a big part of the family, and it went missing after she left.
5. Michael in Jane The Virgin: It was absurd to bring the character back utterly different from what he was before. It wasn’t justified to write him off again.
6. Lucas and Peyton in One Tree Hill: Being the center of the show, Lucas and Peyton were loved by all despite being quirky now and then. And it never returned to being the same again after season 6.
7. Troy in Community: Troy and Abed are best friends exclusively shown; their unique slang gave a certain lightness to the show. The show lost one of the best things it had when Troy left.
8. Elena in The Vampire Diaries: It was awful when Elena left. The ratings dropped, and the show lost its main character, which they couldn’t make up.
9. Dave on Gilmore Girls: Many believe that Dave and Lane, could’ve been a better couple than her and Zayn. But seeing him make a wrong choice was a shocker.
10. Cuddy in House MD: With Cuddy leaving the show, a significant plot – the standoff banter went missing, which was loved by all.
11. Gina in Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Everyone in B99 had unique character traits, which are strong. But when Gina left, so did her strong presence, which made the show incomplete.
12. Glenn in The Walking Dead: The show self-depreciated when it killed off Glenn as he brought a certain zest with him.
13. Carmen in The L Word: Carmen gets the credit for how their relationship was. And it wasn’t enjoyable when she left.
14. Lexa on The 100: She was the reason why Clarke had such a gripping personality until they killed her in a terrible fashion.
15. Andy in Modern Family: A potentially major storyline got thrown away when Andy left the show.
16. Rick in The Walking Dead: Ending the list of 16 times main characters were killed off with Rick. Rick was a prominent character from the show. Fans could never recover after he died, and neither did the show.
These were the 16 times when the death of the main characters led to the show’s degradation.