People in the past have taken method acting to levels which one can’t even imagine. Acting drunk is fine and good, but being drunk, well, that may just give our favorite stars the performance they’ve been looking for.
There have been numerous instances where celebrities were either drunk or stoned while filming some of their most classic works. However, not all of it was method acting. Some were circumstantial and some were just the result of the inordinate psychological pressures of working in Hollywood. Take a look at 17 movie stars who were drunk or stoned while filming classic scenes.
1. Ethan Embry was so stoned while shooting Can’t Hardly Wait that the only thing he recollects about the experience is being asked by the director if he was “altered.”
Ethan Embry once admitted to the Hollywood Reporter, “At the time, when we were shooting, I was the world’s biggest stoner.” He smoked so much weed, in fact, that costar Jennifer Love Hewitt had to once feed him 50 breath mints before performing a scene with him.
2. John Candy shot one of his most iconic scenes in Splash absolutely tanked after a run-in with Jack Nicholson.
3. Kirsten Dunst had no clue that the joint she was smoking was a real one while filming a scene in Woodshock.
The film’s producer did some investigating after Kristen Dunst complained of feeling unusual after filming a scene in Woodshock and discovered that a real joint had gotten mixed in with the fake ones, and Dunst had smoked the whole thing on camera.
4. Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo were so drunk on the set of Super Mario Bros. that Hoskins broke his finger.
5. Billy Bob Thornton got rip-roaring drunk for a key scene while filming Bad Santa.
6. Margot Robbie found some liquid courage while filming The Wolf of Wall Street.
Margot told the New York Times, “I’d come to work that morning and I was shaking, so scared, like, ‘I can’t do this.’ So, even though it was 9 a.m., a crew member hooked her up with some tequila. “I did three shots and then took my clothes off and did the scene and I was fine. It really helped stop my hands shaking, and gave me a little boost of confidence.”
7. The drunken breakdown Martin Sheen’s character suffered at the start of Apocalypse Now was a real drunken breakdown.
8. Nicolas Cage incorporated drinking into some of his scenes as a deeply troubled alcoholic in Leaving Las Vegas.
9. Nicole Kidman, Sandra Bullock, Stockard Channing, and Diane Weist partied for real during a party scene in Practical Magic.
Channing told Vulture, “I don’t know how drunk we were, but we decided to spiff it up with a drink. I think one of the hardest things to do is a fun, raucous party scene. By take 28, it is very hard to keep that up. I think it worked.”
10. The Beatles smoked so much pot on the set of Help it was understood they wouldn’t be able to film much after lunch.
11. Jennifer Lawrence got “really, really drunk” before her sex scene with Chris Pratt in Passengers.
JLaw spoke to the Hollywood Reporter telling that she was hoping the alcohol would make the experience of kissing a married man on camera less bizarre, but unfortunately, she says, “that led to more anxiety.”
12. Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford partied all night with the Rolling Stones and then showed up to film The Empire Strikes Back flying high.
13. Jason Mewes was under the influence during the entire filming of Clerks.
14. Jim Breuer filmed a scene high on the set of Half Baked.
15. Jack Nicholson didn’t smoke 155 joints, as it has been rumored, during the filming of the UFO scene in Easy Rider, but he WAS smoking pot.
16. Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick were drunk on the set of Drinking Buddies.
17. Seth Rogen was high while filming almost everything.
Rogen spoke to Stephen Colbert in his talk show and said, “I do enjoy weed in my personal life and on film.” Colbert replied, “So any movie we see you in, there’s a fair chance you’re high?” Rogen nodded, saying, “One hundred percent, yes.” But we already knew that, right?