It’s not new to Hollywood. Hollywood has done ‘whitewashing’ before. Well, over time, we have seen WHITE actors portraying animated characters who are not. Recently, through Instagram, few celebrities and voice-over artists, including Kristen Bell, Jenny Slate, and many more, have officially announced to resign from voicing animated characters of colors and regretted doing from earlier times. But, fortunately, a few of them did it right from the beginning, and we are here with a list of 17 Animated POC Characters That Were Cast Right.
1. Stephanie Beatriz as Gina Cazador in BoJack Horseman.
Gina is one of the central and quite powerful characters during the 5th and 6th seasons of BoJack Horseman. The Argentine-American actress Stephanie Beatriz has given voice to the character and was even delighted for doing so.
2. Estelle as Garnet in Steven Universe.
Garnet is the fictional alien being and current de-facto leader of the animated series Steven Universe. Moreover, she is an incredibly strong character. On the other hand, the British singer and actor Estelle, who voiced Garnet, said the creation of Rebecca Sugar is only constructed for her.
3. Aziz Ansari as Darryl in Bob’s Burgers.
Darryl is a student of Wagstaff School and also a video game enthusiast. Aziz, an Indian-American actor, gave the voice to the nerdy school kid Darryl.
4. Cree Summer as Susie Carmichael in Rugrats.
The African-American legendary voice actor has been voicing Susie Carmichael in all the Rugarts movies and the spin-offs as well.
5. Shameik Moore as Miles Morales in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
Moore also indicated that he was so proud to be a part of the movie.
6. Aisha Tyler as Lana Kane in Archer.
About Lana, Aisha said, “she’s a blast, I love playing her. I love the stuff that’s written for me and I haven’t really had any complaints about it.”
7. Ming-Na Wen as Fa Mulan in Mulan.
Fa-Mulan is one of the most courageous and self-sufficient characters in the film. Wen also showed her gratitude for being a part of it.
8. Cristina Vee as Xochi Jalapeño in Victor and Valentino.
9. Angelica Ross as The Mayor in Danger & Eggs.
Being a transgender icon, Angelica appeared as The Mayor in Amazon’s queer and super fun series Danger & Eggs.
10. Irene Bedard as Pocahontas in Pocahontas
According to Bedard voicing Pocahontas was a life-changing incident for her and also benefited her to have a long and sort of a blessed character.
12. Rickey D’Shon Collins as Vince LaSalle in Recess.
Collins, who voiced Vince, has been working as a voice actor for a while now.
13. Priyanka Chopra as Ishani in Planes
Priyanka, the former Miss World, voiced Ishani, and she said she was pretty excited to do something out of her zone.
14. Jamil Walker Smith as the Gerald Johanssen in Hey Arnold!
Jamil expressed his warmth for Gerald because it was one of the most relevant characters he has ever played.
15. Dionne Quan as Kimi Finster in Rugrats
Quan voiced her and pretty much showed what a strong lady she is!
16. Auliʻi Cravalho as Moana in Moana.
Disney auditioned many people Moana; however, Cravalho, a fifteen-year-old, got the opportunity to make a difference for audiences.
17. Tahj Mowry as Wade Load in Kim Possible.