Age is just a number, or at least it is to some of these celebrities who dated teenagers. Rather than dating men and women closer to their own age, they resolved to go after young teens and by young we mean really young.
Psychologists in the past have explained that there are multiple reasons why adults date teenagers. Older partners may want to deny their own mortality by dating a younger person, and humans are reportedly programmed to seek out young, fertile mates. Here are 19 celebrities who dared to date teenagers!
Disclaimer: Consent laws have become more stringent over the years, and the age of consent varies from state to state.
1. Jerry Seinfeld met Shoshanna Lonstein in New York’s Central Park in 1993. Jerry was 38 years old while Shoshanna was just 17.
2. Milo Ventimiglia was 29 when he began dating his Heroes costar, 17-year-old Hayden Panettiere.
3. Doug Hutchison was 51 when he wedded 16-year-old Courtney Stodden. Her mother signed off on it, and her father walked her down the aisle.
4. Marvin Gaye was 34 when he met 17-year-old Janis Hunter at a Los Angeles recording studio one night in 1973. He expressed a deep interest in her and the two began dating. Four years later, they got married
5. Don Johnson was 22 when he started dating 14-year-old Melanie Griffith. They moved in together when she was 15.
6. Bill Wyman was 47 when he started dating 14-year-old Mandy Smith. They got married when she was 18.
7. Luc Besson was 31 when he started dating 15-year-old Maïwenn Le Besco. They met when she was 12, and she gave birth to their daughter when she was 16.
8. Chad Michael Murray was 24 when he started dating 17-year-old Kenzie Dalton. She played a cheerleader extra on his hit show, One Tree Hill. He proposed to her in 2006, when she was still a senior in high school.
9. Jerry Lee Lewis was 22 when he married his third cousin — 13-year-old Myra Gale Brown. The press found out after Brown accidentally told a reporter that she was Lewis’s wife.
10. Stacy Ann Ferguson (aka “Fergie”) was 23 when she briefly dated 16-year-old Justin Timberlake.
11. Linda Blair began dating and allegedly lost her virginity to Rick Springfield when she was 15 and he was 25.
12. In a matter of just days, Elvis Presley and Priscilla Beaulieu got together after meeting in Germany while he was 24 and she was 14.
13. Wilmer Valderrama was 29 years old when he met Demi Lovato at 17, but the two didn’t begin dating until Demi turned 18.
14. Wilmer also dated Lindsay Lohan in 2004 when he was 24 and she was 18 (although they allegedly started their relationship when she was only 17).
15. Steven Tyler met Julia Holcomb in 1973 when she was 16 and he was 27. They quickly began dating shortly after that, and Julia’s mother even signed over guardianship to Steven while Julia was living with him in Boston.
16. Infamous rock star “groupie” Lori Mattix met David Bowie when she was just 14. The two had an on and off relationship for 10 years after that.
17. Lori Maddox met Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page when she was 15, and the two dated for about two years before she caught him sleeping with another woman.
18. Joel Madden began dating Hilary Duff when he was 24-years-old and she was just 16. Their relationship lasted for three years.
19. Woody Allen first met Soon-Yi when she was 11 while he was dating her adoptive mother, Mia Farrow. The two began dating in 1991 when Soon-Yi’s age was 20 and Allen was in his mid-fifties.
Have you ever dated a partner this young? Tell us your story in the comments below!