Acting sure is a fancy job, but it also attracts some inevitable challenges. Performing action scenes and stunts can often result in fatal injuries if miscalculated. Here is a list of 20 actors that almost died while shooting for these movies.
1. George Clooney was gravely injured while shooting a torture scene for Syriana. He incurred a two-and-a-half-inch tear in the middle of his back and a half-inch tear in his neck.
2. Charlize Theron was “almost paralyzed” after performing a back-flip stunt for Aeon Flux. With one misstep Theron ended up on her neck, halting the production for 8 weeks straight.
3. Ed Harris almost drowned while shooting The Abyss in 1989. Harris was unaware that his oxygen cylinder would run out before finishing the scene, leaving the actor gasping for air.
4. Martin Sheen suffered a heart attack while shooting for Apocalypse Now. Sheen collapsed in the middle of the jungle and had to crawl almost half a mile before finding someone.
5. Jackie Chan cracked his skull open on the sets of Armour of God. While performing his stunt Chan fell from 25ft directly hitting his head on a rock. He was immediately rushed into surgery.
6. Michael J. Fox almost died as he choked on a rope. Fox passed out for approx 30 seconds while shooting the scene for Back to the Future III.
7. Aaron Paul decided to swap his position for a scene 2008 Breaking Bad set. Fortunately, the decision saved his life as a boulder fell off the roof, exactly at the spot he had been standing before.
8. Halle Berry hit her head on the concrete floor and was left unconscious while filming a fight scene for The Call. The set was closed for the day but luckily Berry had a speedy recovery.
9. Tom Hanks endured a minor cut on his leg while filming for Cast Away. However, the wound contracted a potentially deadly staph infection leaving Hanks in the hospital for three days.
10. Gerard Butler was rescued at the Northern California surfing spot after he was knocked out by a strong wave. Butler was shooting for his 2012 film Chasing Mavericks.
11. Tom Cruise has had many near-death experiences. One of which was while filming The Last Samurai. Some mechanical horses malfunctioned during the shoot, causing his co-star’s blade inches away from Cruise’s neck.
12. John Hurt was under so much prosthetic while shooting for his character Joseph Merick in The Elephant Man that he almost suffocated to death.
13. Jason Statham almost died on the sets of The Expendables 3. While shooting an action stunt on a truck, Statham had to jump out of the 3-ton vehicle before it submerged into the Black Sea following a brake failure.
14. Jennifer Lawrence had a traumatic episode on the sets of The Hunger Games 2012. While shooting in a tunnel Lawrence was trapped in thick smoke created by a malfunctioning fog machine. She almost choked and suffered from nausea and dizziness.
15. Johhny Depp almost died on the sets of The Lone Ranger. Depp was thrown off a galloping horse, stomped upon, and dragged for nearly 30 yards before he was rescued.
16. Dylan O’Brien suffered tears and fractures to his cheekbones and orbital sockets while he was performing a stunt for The Maze Runner: The Death Cure. The injuries were so severe that they delayed the movie for almost a year.