Here’s the complete list of categories being pushed for Black Panther:
- Best Makeup & Hairstyling (Joel Harlow, Camille Friend, Ken Diaz)
- Best Sound Mixing (Steve Boeddeker, Brandon Proctor, Peter Devlin)
- Best Sound Editing (Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boedeker)
- Best Visual Effects (Geoffrey Baumann, Jesse James Chisholm, Craig Hammack, Dan Sudick)
- Best Original Score (Ludwig Goransson)
- Best Original Song (“All the Stars”)
- Best Supporting Actor (Michael B. Jordan, Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Sterling K. Brown, Forest Whitaker, Andy Serkis)
- Best Supporting Actress (Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, Angela Bassett)
- Best Cinematography (Rachel Morrison)
- Best Film Editing (Michael P Shawver, Debbie Berman)
- Best Production Design (Hannah Beachler, Jay Hart)
- Best Costume Design (Ruth Carter)
- Best Picture
- Best Director (Ryan Coogler)
- Best Adapted Screenplay (Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole)
- Best Actor (Chadwick Boseman)
Earlier, the film was speculated to run for the Popular Film Category but the Academy postponed the category after a backlash by the fans. Now the film will compete for the Best Picture category, as many fans argue it deserved the same all along.
Black Panther began its magical box office run with $242.1 million on its opening weekend (including the Monday holiday), $202 million from Thursday night to Sunday. The film had the third best second weekend ever, earning $111.7 million. Here’s what’s Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige had to say about the film’s Academy Awards campaign:
“I think there are a lot of amazing artists that helped to make that movie, and it would be wonderful if they could be recognized. Almost everyone involved in that movie, bringing that movie together, is great, and it would be wonderful to see if they’re recognized. We’ll see. This genre, typically not. And I think it would be a wonderful thing for Panther and for our production designer Hannah [Beachler], and our costume designer Ruth [Carter], and for Ryan [Coogler] who co-wrote the script with Joe Robert Cole, and of course directed the movie. And Michael B. Jordan, and Chadwick [Boseman] and Lupita [Nyong’o] and Letitia [Wright],”
Directed by Ryan Coogler, Black Panther stars Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Angela Bassett, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Florence Kasumba, Sterling K. Brown, Andy Serkis and John Kani.
After the death of his father, T’Challa returns home to the African nation of Wakanda to take his rightful place as king. When a powerful enemy suddenly reappears, T’Challa’s mettle as king — and as Black Panther — gets tested when he’s drawn into a conflict that puts the fate of Wakanda and the entire world at risk. Faced with treachery and danger, the young king must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his foes and secure the safety of his people.
Black Panther is now available on Digital and Blu-ray.