Although it wasn’t quite our year, the stars of Friends were there for us with a highly anticipated HBO Max reunion special. The Friends reunion was anything and everything that a fan could have asked for. Our favorite Friends reunited to talk about their hit sitcom, which filmed for a decade starting in 1994. According to the producers of the show, this was the second time that the main six members had been together in a room since the series finale aired in 2004. The 90-minute reunion special featured the full cast, Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow, Courteney Cox, David Schwimmer, Matthew Perry, and Matt LeBlanc, back in the old Warner Bros studio.
However, the coolest thing we witnessed was the nostalgic moments that were re-created in the special. Here are 23 then vs. now pictures of some of the best ones:
1. The first thing Matt LeBlanc and Matthew Perry did when they went to their room on the set was to re-create Joey and Chandler chillin’ out in their lounge chairs:
2. David Schwimmer got back in the character of Ross when he reconducted his trivia quiz game.
3. The contestants had the same eagerness and energy on the couch. This time we even had Lisa Kudrow as Phoebe on the girl’s team.
4. Jennifer Aniston is so innocent, she still thought Chandler worked as a “transponster” for a living:
5. Larry Hankin who is now 80 years old reprised his role of Mr. Heckles and stopped by the apartment to tell the friends they were being too loud:
6. Ross’s barbershop quartet dropped by to remind Rachel again that it’s nice to have a boyfriend:
7. Thomas Lennon, who played the man with identical hands to Joey Tribbiani in Friends swung by for a handshake.
8. Richard Burke played by Tom Selleck seemed like he hasn’t aged a bit. Can you believe he’s 75?!
9. Jack and Judy Geller played by Elliott Gould and Christina Pickles were spotted sitting in the audience. They shared their love for the “kids”:
10. Lisa Kudrow did a delightful reading of the iconic moment where Phoebe sees Monica and Chandler hooking up in “The One Where Everybody Finds Out” and boy, were her expressions were still the same!
11. She even did a flawless delivery of the classic line, “My eyes, my eyes!”:
12. Honestly our favorite part was Lisa Kudrow’s cover of Smelly Cat. Lady Gaga showed up in a Phoebe Buffay-inspired outfit to join her and added her mind-blowing vocals to it.
13. Maggie Wheeler, who played Janice on the show, treated us to her classic laugh and even delivered her “OH MY GOD”s several times:
14. James Michael Tyler who plays Gunther in the show joined via zoom into the event rocking a Central Perk cap:
15. Jennifer Aniston and David Schwimmer (who revealed they had real crushes on each other during the filming of seasons 1) gave us a reading of that first Ross and Rachel kiss. The two didn’t exactly reenact it, but they reached for each other’s hands and that was so cute:
16. The reunion wrapped up with a fashion show of major looks from the series. Cara Delevingne was the first model who showed up in the hideous bridesmaid dress Rachel had to wear to Barry and Mindy’s wedding.
17. She clearly has a good eye for detail:
18. Cindy Crawford showed up to model for Ross’s super tight leather pants:
19. Justin Bieber surprised everyone when he showed up to model for Ross’s “Spudnik” Halloween costume:
20. Cara returned for round two with a flawless ode to the Holiday Armadillo:
21. While we’re still wondering how that happened, Matt LeBlanc showed up as Joey wearing all of Chandler’s clothes…could he be wearing any more clothes?!
22. He did the iconic lunges to see if it still bothered Chandler:
23. Most importantly, they recreated this: