The MCU officially launched in 2008 with the release of Jon Favreau’s Iron Man. Since then, the franchise expanded to 23 installments comprising three Phases known as the Infinity Saga. Even for viewers who don’t consider themselves fans of the superhero genre, it’s difficult to deny how much the MCU has succeeded in the last decade. Marvel has dominated the box office by consistently releasing new material and revamping their brand.
For novices, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is appealing. But what can we as MCU enthusiasts do to revitalize and energize individuals at the possibility of plunking down and observing around 50 hours of movies? Simple: provide zero context except for a terrible, poorly explained plot summary that both makes them laugh, and need-to-know what exactly happens. Here we have compiled 23 poorly explained plots for every film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
1) “Man gets steroids and a frisbee to fight off Nazis.”
Captain America: The First Avenger, from Redditor u/wat_am_i_doing_here.
2) “A man ends world hunger with his rock collection.”
Avengers: Infinity War, from Redditor u/Subscribe_to_Sam24
3) “Retired dad teams up with old buddies to steal rocks.”
Avengers: Endgame, from Redditor u/TBD1710.
4) “A billionaire creates a homicidal robot with a magical stone and fixes the problem by creating another robot with a magical stone.”
Avengers: Age of Ultron, from a Redditor.
5) “A high school kid ruins his crush’s life through a series of events that ends up sending her father to prison.”
Spider-Man: Homecoming, from Redditor u/jmoney777.
6) “A man makes new clothes, gets in an argument with a co-worker who got cheap knock-off.”
Iron Man, from Redditor u/AlbionPCJ
7) “A bunch of weirdos try to start a fight with former Blue Man Group member.”
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1, From Redditor u/AlbionPCJ
8) “Angry man fights girlfriend’s father and his friend who takes steroids.”
The Incredible Hulk, from Redditor u/AlbionPCJ
9) “A cat gets in a fight when his family lets in a stray.”
Black Panther, from a Redditor.
10) “A team bonding session goes horribly wrong, resulting in a large brawl near Grand Central Station.”
The Avengers, from Redditor u/AlbionPCJ
11) “A man and woman work together to prevent another woman from finding a cure to her life-threatening disease.”
Ant-Man and the Wasp, from Redditor u/jmoney777.
12) “Two idiot billionaires throw money at each other while a Russian hacker tries to unlock the secret of an electric donut.”
Iron Man 2, from Redditor u/overlordbabyj
13) “A man with PTSD builds a robot army to kill a guy he treated badly many years ago, who coincidentally has fire powers.”
Iron Man 3, from Redditor u/jmoney777.
14) “A political party wants to create a secure and safe future but is stopped by a 70-year-old Boy Scout who can’t kiss correctly.”
Captain America: The Winter Soldier, from Redditor u/josefthov2.
15) “A woman tries to find her place in her family after years of distance between them.”
Thor: Ragnarok, from Redditor u/AlbionPCJ.
16) “Billionaire playboy fights a WW2 veteran after he refuses to give him his autograph.”
Captain America: Civil War, from Redditor u/Darth_Stonewall
17) “Man gets into a car accident and gets nerve damage in his hands. He searches for a cure and ends up becoming a wizard.”
Doctor Strange, from Redditor u/jmoney777.
18) “An ex-con struggles with finding a new job and argues with his new girlfriend’s dad.”
Ant-Man, from Redditor u/AlbionPCJ.
19) “Teenager on a school trip gets separated from his class because he gets distracted by a drone.”
Spider-Man: Far From Home
20) “A man is kicked out of his house by his dad, but then his brother finds out he’s adopted. He tries to kill some people and fails, so he jumps off a bridge.”
Thor, from Redditor u/jmoney777.
21) “A woman struggles to deal with finding a valuable package in a cave and the dangerous parties interested in recovering it. Also, there are a bunch of dudes named Chris.”
Thor: The Dark World, from Redditor u/AlbionPCJ.
22) “Former pilot regains her memory and makes friends with a guy that’s picky about his sandwiches.”
Captain Marvel, from Redditor u/Anorak006 and Joe Donley.
23) “Dad struggles to reconnect with son in the presence of his new father figure.”
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, from Redditor u/AlbionPCJ.
Let us know which poorly explained plot was your favorite in the comment section below!