Director Denis Villeneuve’s new sci/fi movie Dune has finally been released and the audience seems to love this adaptation of Frank Herbert’s masterpiece. The movie is filled with some amazing and thrilling scenes that impressed the audience to an extent that they are hoping for a sequel. So before the sequel arrives, let’s take a look at 7 magnificently epic scenes from Dune.
WARNING: You may get some major spoilers!!!
1. All-New Style Of Fighting!: Paul (Timothee Chalamet), in his first war scene of the film, battles his house’s weapons master, Gurney Halleck (Josh Brolin). With this, he introduces a whole different style of fighting to the audience. The film illustrates a brand new form of fighting, using men armed with a dagger and a protective force field.
2. The Sardaukar Savagery: While travelling to the Imperial Army planet, the Harkonnens mentat Piter De Vries (David Dastmalchian) joins the emperor’s special soldiers, The Sardaukar, to take part in the Baron’s attack on Arrakis. The whole army rallied in the rain sacrificing their human blood. By this, the audience gets hints of Sardaukar’s brutality and the risk the heroes were facing.
3. Death of Liet-Kynes’: Dr. Liet-Kynes (Sharon Duncan-Brewster) prepares to ride a sandworm by generating a thumper after breaking out from the Sardaukar with Paul and Jessica. But unfortunately, she gets brutally injured by a Sardaukar, who criticizes her for betraying the emperor. The scene was so powerful that it showed Kynes looking at her own death but still fully embracing it. She died on her own terms!!
4. The Worm Attack: This scene clearly showed us the reality of these destructive sandworms. Paul, Gurney, and Leto try to save the harvester’s crew from being gulped down. Fortunately, Paul and all of them managed to escape.
5. A Royal Entrance: This scene was truly a supreme one! House Atreides arrives at their new home on Arrakis, and everyone welcomes them with bagpipes and a huge welcome party from their servants, as well as the residents who worship Paul. Rebecca Ferguson’s costume designer definitely deserves an award for designing such outstanding costumes. Also, the cinematography in this scene is so amazing!
6. Encountering the Sandworm: At this point, in the film, we have already seen a sandworm but this was the very first time when we saw a complete view. As Jessica and Paul walk through the desert alone, they escape from a sandworm coming towards them. Paul faces the worm and both the audience and Paul stare at the giant beast with fear. Fortunately, the sandworm is pulled out by the sound of a thumper used by the Fremen. After this scene, the audience is hoping for more magnificently epic scenes. We may also see Paul riding one of these creatures in the second part.
7. Baron Enters the film: The film introduces us to the protagonist: Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. As we see Baron in the cloak of mist, his brutish nephew Glossu Rabban (Dave Bautista) visits him. He is mad over giving control of Arrakis to House Atreides. Harkonnen reveals the emperor’s grudges towards Leto’s popularity. Stellan Skarsgard’s performance and looks in this scene were terrifying.