🚨 Warning: Spoilers ahead for Ms. Marvel Episode 5! Do not read if you haven’t watched 🚨
1. In the opening credits of this episode, one of the many Ms. Marvel logos appears on the resettlement card of the Khan Family. It even has one adult man, one adult woman, and an infant listed.
2. If you zoom in closely on the Khan family’s resettlement card, their listed index number is “0012.” Since Marvel loves slipping in numbers, this is possibly a nod to Ms. Marvel Issue #12 from 2015 which featured Kamala’s visit to Karachi.
3. When Hasan was trying to initiate a conversation with Aisha, he recited his favorite poem to her which was “Out Beyond Ideas” by Rumi. However, the translation of the last line has been slightly altered. If we take into consideration that it’s 1942, Hasan’s translation sounds pretty meaningful.
4. Aisha and Hasan decided to name their daughter, Kamala’s grandmother, Sana. This name has actually been taken from Sana Amanat, who happens to be the co-creator of Kamala Khan and the Ms. Marvel comic books.
5. As Aisha and Hasan fee India with their little one, Marvel depicts the historic ‘Partition of India’ that happened in 1947. Due to this event, British India got divided into two countries: India and Pakistan. Director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy explained how special it was for them to create these scenes and how it’s the first portrayal of India’s Partition in Hollywood.
6. Most of the Partition scenes were actually filmed in Thailand. It took a fleet of hundreds of extras to attain accuracy. The studio tried its best to give an authentic feeling to this huge moment of history in Kamala’s story.
7. When Najma and the other Clandestine tried to walk past the veil and get home, they got encased into what appeared to be stones before dying. This visual had a resemblance with what we saw in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. when the Inhumans got superhuman abilities by undergoing “terrigenesis.”
8. Kamala Khan in the Ms. Marvel comic books got her powers when she underwent terrigenesis. This scene could possibly be a nod to Kamala’s comic book origins.
9. We get our first glimpse at Kamran’s superpowers after Najma dies in an attempt to enter the veil. As we’ve discussed before, in the comics Kamran got hold of his powers after getting exposed to the Terrigen Mist. His powers in the comics include the ability to transfer energy to any object. It makes him glow blue/white whenever he uses it and we see these visuals at the end of the show.
10. The broken necklace that Kamala’s mom finds had a slight resemblance to the shape of a lightning bolt. This is a nod to Kamala’s real supersuit. In Ms. Marvel comics, her costume has a signature lightning bolt on it.