Eternals is coming to the big screen as a part of MCU Phase 4. The storylines and characters,, however will have many updates, different from the comic books. The movie will bring a significant change in the classic comic book characters. Comic book writer Jack Kirby originally wrote these characters.
These original Eternal characters written were never heavily involved in Marvel comics. However, there were crossovers eventually with Thor and the Avengers. But there were only a few special guest appearances. Hence, these Eternal characters haven’t had a long history compared to the Avengers. But these characters have had some good storylines.
Eternals in comics have never really been in much spotlight. This has granted extra freedom to the MCU to make changes to these characters. Here are a few of the changes that will be made:
1. Characters may have diminished powers. While The Eternals are widely expected to be the strongest superhero team, they might still have lesser powers than their comic book counterparts. Originally, every Eternal has some common abilities like flight, telepathy, etc. In addition to that, they have a specific ability. It seems that on the big screen, only their specific abilities will be highlighted instead of their shared abilities.
2. Change in character genders: Marvel has changed the gender of characters from comics before. But this time, they have tripled down. The three characters namely Makkari, Sprite and Ajak were all originally male characters.
3. They are Aliens in MCU: The spaceship crash in trailers indicate that the Eternals are shown as aliens sent by the Celestials. However, in the comic book, the Eternals were a result of experiments conducted by Celestials using human DNA. Hence they originated on Earth.
4. Sersi Is Less Powerful in MCU: When Eternals was announced, Sersi was expected to be one of the most powerful in all of MCU. Her powers were comparable with Scarlet Witch and others. But a revelation has indicated that she will definitely not be as impressive when it comes to power.
5. Sersi’s history with Ikaris: A Sersi-Ikaris relationship in the past is a new invention by MCU. In her early years, Sersi had a relationship with Makkari but never with Ikaris.
6. The leader of Eternals: Comic books has Zuras as the leader and representative of Eternals. He seems to have maintained the order forever. But its about to change in the movies. Ajak will be the leader in Eternals. She will also maintain her responsibility of communicating with the Celestials.
7. LGBTQ Phastos: Phastos will be one of the rare gay characters in MCU. In the comics he had a wife and children but Deviants murdered them.
8. Kingo wont be a Samurai: An Eternal with connections to Japan, Kingo had an acting career in the comics. He used to act in Japanese movies as a samurai. But in MCU, he will be a Bollywood actor.
9. Gilgamesh & Thena: Seen together in trailers and merchandise, it seems that these two are going to share a special bond. This again is an update to the comics. As in the comics there is very little focus on their relationship. Due to his exile, Gilgamesh was a loner and not the favorite of the Eternals. Infact, Thena didn’t trust him in the comics. But it will be totally different in the movie.