The death of a character, although fictional, can feel real and painful. And yes, it is normal to cry over the death of our favorite fictional characters. However, certain characters lived as a result of changed scripts. Here’s a list of 23 fictional characters meant to die in the original script:
1. Steve Harrington, the jock from Stranger Things, was supposed to die in the first season. However, Joe Keery’s performance was the reason why the show didn’t kill him.
2. The Duffer Brothers initially planned for Stranger Things to last for only one season and Eleven to die too. But the possibility of more episodes made them cancel her death.
3. Poe Dameron from The Force Awakens dies right in the original opening sequence. But Oscar Isaac requested the director to spare Poe’s life.
4. Harrison Ford and the screenwriter were enthusiastic for Han Solo’s death to create emotional weight. It was because of George Lucas that Han survived the first three movies.
5. While sorting through Roald Dahl’s papers after his death, Matilda died at the end in his early drafts.
6. In the first season of Breaking Bad, Gilligan had initially planned to kill off Jesse Pinkman.
7. Gilligan was also planning on Walt’s wife – Skyler’s death, by making her commit suicide in Season 5.
8. Stephen King had planned Misery to end with Annie Wilkes murdering Paul gruesomely. However, “the redemptive power of writing” made King change the gory twist.
9. Castiel from Supernatural was only supposed to be on for a few episodes until he died. But his popularity was what saved his character.
10. Jack Shepherd – Lost’s protagonist was supposed to die in the middle of the show’s first episode
11. If it wasn’t for Monica Macer’s lobbying, Jin-Soo Kwon wouldn’t have survived past the first season of Lost.
12. The creators of Barry intended to kill NoHo Hank in Episode 1 but spared him because of his performance.
13. J.K. Rowling contemplated Ron Weasley’s death in the middle of Harry Potter
14. Arthur Weasley also barely survived Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix.
15. Unlike in the book, Lafayette Reynolds was saved from early death in True Blood because of his popularity.
16. Mr. Big would have died due to a heart attack if they had actually made Sex and The City 3.
17. Nicholas Brody would have been killed off after the first season of Homeland.
18. Rambo: First Blood’s protagonist was originally intended to die by suicide in the ending.
19. John Green was going to kill Hazel Lancaster and Peter in “a hail of bullets” at the end of The Fault in Our Stars.
20. Daniel Oz Osborne would’ve been the one murdered in place of Jenna Calendar in the Season 2 of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
21. In Buffy’s original script, Spike was going to be murdered off by Angelus after five episodes.