An American Sci-fi action comedy film, Free Guy, is directed by Shawn Levy and starring Ryan Reynolds. The movie is filled with a flurry of surprises, as it always happens in Levy and Ryan films. In the movie, the Guy is a non-player character in an open world of video games. Free Guy is a frivolous, fun movie. And more exciting is the fact that there are so many interesting unknown facts about the film that fans are desperately waiting for. Sometimes it becomes way too attractive for the fans to know about behind-the-scenes of a movie. It includes the cast, the rewrites, which help them to connect with the film intensely. So for all the fans of the movie, below we present some interesting 20 behind the scenes facts you never knew about the movie Free Guy.
1. In an interview, the screenwriter Matt Lieberman revealed that he wrote the first draft of Free Guy in 2016.
2. As soon as Ryan Reynolds got on board, he brought a new life into the script, Lieberman said in an interview.
3. The draft of the movie was written in around three weeks and created much interest in Hollywood, but it remained in cold storage with Fox buying it.
4. The character of Guy was cynical in the original script, but Reynolds changed him into ‘a satisfied with his life’ kind of character.
5. The victory of Donald Trump’s Presidential election in 2016 was responsible for bringing the movie’s script in cold storage.
6. The second significant change brought by Reynolds in the script was the addition of Guy 2.0, another guy in the movie.
7. Antwan was supposed to reflect the toxic “bro culture of gaming,” but 80% of his lines didn’t make it to the screen.
8. According to the original script Guy and Millie stay together till the end, but Zak Penn changed the ending, making it to the big screen.
9. Alex Trebek, the beloved and last host of Jeopardy!, comes as a final cameo in the movie.
10. While Reynolds or Comer are walking, most of the actions taking place in the background are totally real and not CGI.
11. In 2016, Shawn Levy was first offered to direct the movie, but he refused as he thought some hardcore gamer would be perfect for it.
12. The result of the collaboration of Ryan Reynolds and Shawn Levy was because of Hugh Jackman, who introduced them.
13. Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer met for the first time when Comer came for the audition of the movie.
14. Molotov Girl was changed from a bland sort of goth character because it was felt outdated.
15. Just after finishing the shooting of Killing Eve Season 3, Comer flew to New York and went for the audition.
16. It became possible for the movie to bring surprises and cameos with the help of the Disney-Fox merger.
17. The movie’s production designer Ethan Tobman shot the whole movie in Boston for its brutalist and federalist architecture.
18. Many rewrites made by Shawn and Ryan happened during the commute in an Amtrak train between Boston and New York.
19. The scene where Antwan makes fun of the IP culture was written by Levy as a deliberate commentary on Hollywood’s addiction to IP.
20. The scenes were shot with different cameras and lenses to differentiate the game world and the real world.
This was all about the unknown facts of the movie Free Guy, that you were unaware about.
Also, watch the trailer for Eternals here: