Hollywood stars require tremendous skills and efforts. To execute a character flawlessly on screen is a task in itself. But some go the extra mile of portraying more than one character in the same movie. Take Lindsay Lohan’s memorable role as Hallie and Annie in The Parent Trap, for example. Both were opposites, and she did a phenomenal job portraying the contrasting characters, fooling the audience into thinking Lindsay had a real-life twin.
Here’s a list of outstanding Hollywood stars who played double roles in the same movie and did a terrific job!
1. Mike Myers in Austin Powers: Mike Myers has made a name for himself for playing multiple roles within his films. In Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, he plays the spy lead Austin Powers and his infamous nemesis Dr. Evil. He went ahead and added more characters to play in the movie’s sequels.
2. Johnathan Hyde in Jumanji: We’ve all had nightmares about the villainous Van Pelt from Jumanji. Funnily enough, he’s the same actor who portrays Alan’s father in the movie. Although there is no official statement as to why he was cast for both roles, one can assume the mystical world was created based on Alan’s worst fears, one being his own father.
3. Paul Dano in There Will be Blood: Paul Dano’s performance in There Will be Blood is one of the most outstanding performances in the history of Hollywood. After Kel O’Niell was fired, the role of Eli was offered to Dano, who was already playing Paul Sunday. Dano went on to get a BAFTA nomination for Best Supporting Actor for the film.
4. Eddie Murphy in Coming to America: Eddie Murphy, or Hollywood’s master of disguise as he is infamously known as, is known for his multiple appearances on the 80’s film, Coming to America. Two of his four roles included an elderly Jewish man and a singer.
5. Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins: Bert, with his cockney accent, is one of the most adored Walt Disney characters. But that wasn’t Dyke’s only role in the movie. Mr. Dawes, the bank director, was also played by Dyke with the help of more than a little touch-up. The Hollywood star went on to play Mr. Dawes Jr. in the sequel, except he laid off the makeup this time.
7. Tom Hardy in Legend: Tom Hardy is known as a versatile artist and has worked in many action and crime movies. In Legends, we saw him go out of his comfort zone, playing the Kray twins. While the film itself didn’t do very well, Hardy received applause for his performance.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch in Doctor Strange: It’s no surprise that many actors play multiple roles in Marvel movies. For example, before he was known as Captain America, Chris Evans appeared in the early 2000’s franchise of the Fantastic Four, playing Johnny Storm. However, in the case of the British actor, not only did he play the superhero in the Marvel movie, but he also played the main antagonist. Cumberbatch gave a motion capture for Dormammu and voiced the character alongside another actor.