Everyone enjoys watching something spooky these days, be it a nice horror film or thrilling series. With Halloween on its way, Netflix has already geared up for its season offering with more spooky releases to the service, starting in October.
Netflix has also introduced a “slightly spooky” category for those who wish to get into the Halloween spirit and enjoy the season. Some of these new releases include The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which is a character based on the Archie Comics character accompanied by the second season of the Castlevania animated series.
Here’s a list of Netflix’s Halloween Season Offerings:
- The Shining: A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future.
- Truth or Dare: A harmless game of Truth or Dare among friends turns deadly when someone — or something — begins to punish those who tell a lie or refuse the dare.
- Creeped Out (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): A modern-day Are You Afraid of the Dark meets Black Mirror kids anthology series that depicts creepy tales and ends with a lesson. The series is linked together by a masked ‘story collector’ called The Curious who appears in each episode.
- Malevolent (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): Brother and sister team Angela (Florence Pugh) and Jackson (Ben Lloyd-Hughes) are nothing more than scam artists. Preying on the grief-stricken and the vulnerable, they convince the bereaved that Angela has the ability to contact the dead. It’s a simple con until Mrs Green (Celia Imrie) summons the pair to her home — the orphanage that was once stage to a string of murders of young girls — and Angela grows less and less certain of what’s actually real.
- Apostle (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): Richardson (Dan Stevens) has returned home, only to learn that his sister is being held for ransom by a religious cult. Determined to get her back, Thomas travels to the idyllic island where he uncovers a secret far more evil than he could have imagined.
- The Haunting of Hill House (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): A modern reimagining of Shirley Jackson’s iconic novel, The Haunting of Hill House explores a group of siblings who, as children, grew up in what would go on to become the most famous haunted house in the country. Now adults, the family must finally confront the ghosts of their past.
- Haunted (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): From the Executive Producers of The Purge franchise and Lore, Haunted gives a chilling glimpse into the first-person accounts from people who have witnessed horrifying, peculiar, extraordinary supernatural events and other unexplained phenomenons that continue to haunt them.
- Castlevania: Season 2 (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): Year is 1475 in the eastern European village of Lugu. Lisa Tepes, doctor and wife of Dracula, is burned at the stake by the Inquisition for heresy. Insane with rage, Dracula unleashes an army of night creatures to exact revenge and wipe humanity from the face of the Earth.
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): A dark reimagination of the Archie comic, following 16 year old Sabrina as she is beginning her dark education as a sorceress, juggling her half-witch side and her half-human, normal life at Baxter High.
- Hold the Dark (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): Summoned to a remote Alaskan village to search for wolves that took a local boy, a naturalist soon finds himself caught in a harrowing mystery.
- Little Evil (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): In this horror-comedy, a recently married man who wants to bond with his stepson begins to fear that the boy is a demon.
- Death Note (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): Light Turner finds a supernatural notebook and uses it to mete out death, attracting the attention of a detective, a demon and a girl in his class.
- Stranger Things (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): When a young boy vanishes, a small town uncovers a mystery involving secret experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one strange little girl.
- The Ritual (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): Four friends with a long-standing — but strained — connection take a hiking trip into the Swedish wilderness, from which they may never return.
- 1922 (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): A farmer pens a confession admitting to his wife’s murder, but her death is just the beginning of a macabre tale. Based on Stephen King’s novella.
- Clinical (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): A psychiatrist is plagued by flashbacks to a terrifying attack as she treats a new patient who was horribly disfigured in an accident.
- Ghoul (NETFLIX ORIGINAL): When a new prisoner at a military detention centre exhibits eerie behaviour, a young interrogator’s search for the truth becomes a battle for survival.
- The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-7: Based on the series of graphic novels from Robert Kirkman, AMC’s horror series The Walking Dead stars Andrew Lincoln as Rick, a lawman who wakes up from a coma to discover that a cataclysmic event has transformed much – though not all – of humanity into zombies. He goes searching for his wife and child, using his intelligence and training to stay alive. Eventually he reunites with his loved ones, who have gone on the run with a motley crew of survivors that include Rick’s former partner on the force (Jon Bernthal), who has fallen in love with Rick’s wife. Written and executive produced by Frank Darabont, the program debuted in October of 2010 and quickly became the biggest ratings hit in AMC history to that point in time.
- American Horror Story: Seasons 1-7: Both physical and psychological horrors affect a decomposing family, workers and residents of an insane asylum, a coven of witches, a cast of circus freaks, the employees and guests at a struggling hotel, a family who moved into a mysterious farmhouse, and the members of a small suburb in Michigan in this haunting anthology series, focusing on the themes of infidelity, sanity, oppression, discrimination, addiction, and exploitation.
- Z Nation: Three years after the zombie virus has gutted the country, a team of everyday heroes must transport the only known survivor of the plague from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood.
- The Mist: The Draytons – David, Steff and their son Billy – live in a small Maine town. One night a ferocious storm hits the area, damaging their house. The storm is accompanied by a strange mist the following morning. David and Billy and their neighbour Brent Norton go into town and find themselves trapped in a grocery store with several other people. There they discover that the mist contains something frightening and intent on killing humans.
- Coraline: When Coraline moves to an old house, she feels bored and neglected by her parents. She finds a hidden door with a bricked up passage. During the night, she crosses the passage and finds a parallel world where everybody has buttons instead of eyes, with caring parents and all her dreams coming true. When the Other Mother invites Coraline to stay in her world forever, the girl refuses and finds that the alternate reality where she is trapped is only a trick to lure her.
- Charmed: The three Halliwell sisters discover that they are descendents of a line of female witches. Each has a special ability (stopping time, moving objects, seeing the future), and they can also combine their abilities into the “Power of Three” to fight demons, warlocks, and other evils.
- iZombie: Seasons 1-4: Liv Moore, a medical student, gets invited in a party which turns into a macabre zombie arena. Liv wakes up from the dead and becomes a zombie. For maintaining her humanity she must eat human brains so she began working in coroner’s office to access brains. Eating a brain gives her memories and traits of that person. So she helps detective Clive Babineaux to solve the murder as a psychic.
- Bates Motel: Seasons 1-5: A contemporary prequel to Psycho, giving a portrayal of how Norman Bates’ psyche unravels through his teenage years, and how deeply intricate his relationship with his mother, Norma, truly is.
- The Vampire Diaries: Seasons 1-8: The vampire brothers Damon and Stefan Salvatore, eternal adolescents, having been leading “normal” lives, hiding their bloodthirsty condition, for centuries, moving on before their non-aging is noticed. They are back in the Virginia town where they became vampires. Stefan is noble, denying himself blood to avoid killing, and tries to control his evil brother Damon, who promised to Stefan an eternity of misery. Stefan falls in love with schoolgirl Elena, who has an uncanny resemblance to the Salvatore brothers old love, Katherine; and whose best friend Bonnie is a witch.
- Supernatural: Seasons 1-13: Two brothers follow their father’s footsteps as “hunters”, fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds, including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.
Also read: J.K. Rowling To Write 4 More Stories