Today we are here to talk about the movie adaptations that are based on real-life tragic events. Besides, it’s even messier to know that one of your favorite movies was inspired by true dark stories. Also, there is something so powerful and serendipitous in the movies based on real-life stories. But some life stories were so messed up and were thus made into the creepiest movies. And today, we have gathered such movies based on real-life stories that were so messed up.
1. Psycho (1960 ): Truly, the movie is one of the best psychological thrillers and is also considered a classic. Moreover, this black and white horror classic of Alfred Hitchcock is loosely based on Ed Gein’s crimes in Wisconsin in the 1950s.
2. The Exorcist (1973): ‘The Exorcist’ is undoubtedly one of the best horror movies that have ever been made. In fact, Roland Doe’s real-life story was the inspiration for the movie. In reality, he was possessed by demons in 1949.
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974): To illustrate, America’s famous serial killer Ed Gein was the inspiration for this movie’s (and several others) frightening villain, Leatherface. Although, it is not entirely based on his crimes.
4. Eaten Alive (1976): To summarize, the movie is one of the most gruesome cannibal tales. However, the real story behind this is about Joe Ball, a serial killer who murdered 20 women and fed them to crocodiles.
5. The Entity (1982): In brief, it is one of the films that couldn’t get any scarier. It is based on Doris Bither’s case, who claimed that an invisible entity repeatedly harassed her sexually.
6. Scream (1996): Accordingly, in 1990, Danny Rolling (aka The Gainesville Ripper) terrorized Florida college students with a string of five grisly murders over just four days.
7. The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005): The inspiration of the movie is the real-life story of Anneliese Michel.
8. The Girl Next Door (2007): Briefly, based on the horrible crime that happened in Indiana. Additionally, Sylvia Likens was tortured and even killed by Gertrude Baniszewski in 1965.
9. Borderland (2007): To summarize, this is one of those films where you could watch the gory detail of how human sacrifice was practiced long back. However, the story is based on a natural cult leader Adolfo de Jesús.
10. Deliver Us From Evil ( 2008)
11. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010): Wes Craven read several newspaper articles that were about Hmong refugees who suffered from terrible nightmares, that also became the reason of their death. The medical condition is called “sudden unexpected death syndrome”.
12. The Possession (2012): Accordingly, this serious horror movie from 2012 is based on the real haunted dybbuk box story that Kevin Mannis repurchased in 2001.
13. The Conjuring (2013): Briefly, this movie series has been made on real-life couples Ed, and Lorraine Warren, who have investigated several paranormal activities over the years.
14. Annabelle (2014): The real-life characters of this movie are the Warrens, paranormal investigators. They claimed that they had studied a case of a creepy porcelain doll that could move by itself.
15. Hounds Of Love (2016): This one is such an underrated movie based on a real-life story of a couple, the Birnies, in 1986.