Nothing is more emotional in a good movie than a character dying either after a long battle or in a heroic act. Film lovers, we’re a sentimental bunch. It’s easy for us to get attached to characters after 2 hours of a well-written story. What if most of the characters die in a movie? It sounds crazy, right. So here are some Movies That End With Almost All Its Characters Dying.
1. All Quiet on the Western Front: In the movie, all the soldiers who fought in world war die. This is the Quote at the end- “You take it from me, we are losing the war because we can salute too well.”
2. The Departed: It is a tale of the two informers in the police’s side as well as the Gangsters’ side. Scorsese’s use of X’s as background in The Departed foreshadows the characters’ eventual death.
3. Dr. Strangelove: It is a classic black comedy. One of the greatest films of its time. The movie ends with multiple nuclear bombs exploding across the globe.
4. 300: 300 is a war between 300 Spartan soldiers who engage against the 300,000 strong invading Persian army. Nearly all of the 300 Spartans, including Gerard Butler’s Leonidas and opponent Persian soldiers, die. It is a cold-hearted, hyper-macho, and an all-around bloody-good-time movie.
5. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story- This movie is based on the doomed crew of rebels who swipe the plans for the Death Star. However, everyone in Darth Vader’s path will die at the end.
6. Reservoir Dogs: Quentin Tarantino’s debut film is based on a jewelry heist planed by friends. All the characters you see in the picture will die at the end.
7. The Hateful Eight: We all know Quentin Tarantino is known for making violent films. But, where plenty of people perish, he took things to a whole new level with The Hateful Eight. Every character who appears on-screen meet their end before the movie ends.
8. Hamlet: Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet came in 1996, and is better than the older versions. The entire main cast bites the dust, as the play is one of Shakespeare’s most unforgiving tragedies.
9. Sunshine: This movie is full of big stars like, Chris Evans, Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne, Benedict Cumberbatch. This suspenseful sci-fi film, about reviving our dying sun, suddenly became a horror movie by the final act.
10. The Wild Bunch: The Wild Bunch is an unflinching film about courageous men who are members of a bandit gang in pre-WWI America. The final battle when Pike fell, made fans cry.
11. The Cabin in the Woods: You be the judge on this one
12. Easy Rider: The film Easy Rider was a “New Hollywood” era of American cinema in the early 1970s. The plot is about two counter-culturist bikers who travel across the country with a bunch of money. Unfortunately, even Peter Fonda’s Wyatt, Dennis Hopper’s Billy, and Jack Nicholson’s George don’t survive till the end of the film.
13. Scarface: Scarface is Written by Oliver Stone and directed by Brian De Palma. It is a 1983 remake of the Howard Hawks movie, a 1932 classic. The story is about Al Pacino’s Tony Montana, a Cuban refugee who uses the narcotics trade to go from rags to rich, before he meets his fate at the end.