Let’s face it, some unscripted moments on live television break the flow of the script, but as a viewer, it might be the best thing that can come out of that set. These skits were already hilarious in their own elements, but these absolutely unscripted or improvised moments tripled their funny quotient and made them some of the greatest SNL skits ever! Although, watch out for #13 because that didn’t turn out well.
1. When Kate McKinnon held a tiny “Himalayan” kitten in her hands and said, “You can find him-a-laying on the couch.” Kristen Wiig’s reaction to McKinnon’s laughter and her response, “You should do stand-up,” was not written in the script!
2. When Bill Hader accidentally disorganized the entire set by running into it with his electric scooter with Cecily Strong on her lap. You can see Bill hiding his face to laugh.
3. When Kate McKinnon kept making Ryan Gosling break his character while telling her alien abduction story. Ryan had no chance.
4. When Fred Armisen made Bill Hader laugh for the whole 6-minute skit. Their chemistry made the skit so enjoyable.
5. When Kristen Steward dropped an F-bomb and agreed that she would never be invited again.
6. When Adrien Brody went off-script and introduced Sean Paul while wearing fake locks and speaking Jamaican Patois. He allegedly got banned from the show after this derogatory incident.
7. When Bill Hader kept slinging the microphone to Kristen Wiig’s crotch region and did that-
8. When Chapelle forgot who Pete Davidson was playing and called him by his name.
9. When Will Ferrell was bent on making Jimmy Fallon break his character.
10. When Hader was getting playfully violated during this skit-
11. When Rachel Dratch made everyone laugh uncontrollably that Horatio Sanz had to wipe his tears with a Mickey Mouse waffle.
12. When Adele had such a big laughing fit during the “Africa Tourism” sketch that she had to crouch down.
13. When Martin Lawrence’s unscripted off-rail during his 1994 monologue to inappropriately talk about feminine hygiene, which “nearly cost everyone at Saturday Night Live their jobs.”
14. When Aidy Bryant’s dresser got the wrong cue and accidentally walked on during the live recording.
15. And, when a bunch of fake blood was squirted into Leslie Jones’ mouth by James Franco.
It’s easy to say that more than the skits themselves, we remember the things that were done off-script that also made the whole setting chaotic, in a fun way. There’s something about the actors breaking characters, don’t you think?