Every single person that we come across is fighting a battle that most of us don’t know of. Take a look at 10 celebrities who suffer from serious chronic illnesses:
1. Back in 1991 when he was only 29, Michael J. Fox got diagnosed with young-onset Parkinson’s disease. The first symptom that he developed was a twitch in his pinky finger while filming Doc Hollywood. He not only continued acting but also founded ‘The Michael J. Fox Foundation’ in 2000 for Parkinson’s Research. In today’s time, the organization has raised over a billion dollars since its launch.
2. While filming Syriana in 2005, George Clooney had a serious head injury after he fell off a chair. He spent three weeks in the hospital after which it turned out that he had torn the outer layer around the spinal cord. A surgery followed on Christmas that same year, but Clooney suffers from chronic pain from that accident to date. He says it affects him thrice a week.
3. Alec Baldwin has been a victim of chronic Lyme disease for the past few decades. In an interview with People, he said, “I really thought ‘this is it, I’m not going to live.’ I was alone, I wasn’t married at the time, I was divorced from my first wife. I was lying in bed saying, ‘I’m going to die of Lyme disease,’ in my bed and ‘I hope someone finds me and I’m not here for too long.'”
4. Lil Wayne has been having attacks of Epilepsy since the start of his career.
5. Bella Hadid has very openly talked about her traumatic experience with Lyme disease. In a blog post, her mother Yolanda once wrote that Bella “had to give up her lifelong dream of having a professional riding career, and a shot at the Olympics, due to her severe symptoms and inability to ride. This was the biggest heartbreak of her life and an extremely sensitive subject for her.”
6. Back in 2013, Will.i.am talked to Mirror magazine about his diagnosis of ADHD. He explained how his work in the music industry has enabled him to get control over his symptoms. “One thing I learned about ADHD is that it’s hard to keep your attention and you can’t sit still, and you’re always moving and thinking about a whole bunch of things,” he said.
7. In 2015, Selena Gomez talked about the diagnosis of her lupus. Due to this condition, she had to undergo a kidney transplant 2 years later. Selena was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2020.
8. Bono has been suffering from glaucoma for the past three decades. He revealed on The Graham Norton Show that he dons sunglasses all the time because of the light sensitivity that his condition has caused.
9. Nick Jonas was only 16 when he got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. In 2015, Nick helped in the foundation of the ‘Beyond Type 1′ organization. This organization aims to change what it means to live with chronic illness.
10. When Pete Davidson was 17 or 18 years old, he got diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. In an interview with High Times, he explained that marijuana has been very important for managing his stomach pain. “I wouldn’t be able to do SNL if I didn’t smoke weed,” he said. “I wouldn’t be able to do anything really. Me performing not high has gone awful. It’s awful for me because I don’t feel well.”