Creating Horror short films can be a difficult task. Not only do you have to create an atmosphere of terror around the viewers, but also you have to do it in seriously less time. Contrary to these, the Featured films have nearly 2 hours, and thus it is easy for them. For example, The Shining (1980) and The Thing (1982). In spite of this, some short films have managed to deliver good content despite time constraints. We have conducted some research. So here are 10 Underrated Horror Short Films That Are Way Better Than Insidious & The Conjuring.
1. The first movie on our 10 Underrated Horror Short Films list is “The Maiden (2016).”
Director Michael Chaves helmed the movie “The Maiden,” which is a 9 minutes short film. It tells the story of a woman trying to sell a dilapidated mansion to a small family. She soon discovers that the house is not deserted and is occupied by an evil presence.
2. The next movie is “Lights Out (2013)” by the director David F. Sandberg.
“Lights Out,” tells the story of an unknown woman just trying to sleep. She perceives a terrifying presence as soon as she switches off the light in the hallway. While the film is only three minutes long, its disturbing atmosphere and the idea of an undetectable evil will send chills down your spine.
3. “The Passing” is a crime story that quickly takes a hard turn towards horror-thriller.
An imposing mansion of a mysterious psychic is the setting for a call for two detectives. They see a bruised and beaten woman in the villa. As the two lawmen set off to investigate the place, disturbing images and a haunting atmosphere attack them.
4. Mama (2008) was an award-winning short film that later became a feature film.
A mother of two sisters terrifies them when she comes home. However, the mother is not like others.
5. Next on our list of 10 Underrated Horror Short Films is the “Suckablood (2012).”
Directed by Tim Burton, this short film is a poetic nightmare about a little girl who continuously sucks her thumb. Her stepmother haunts her by saying if she does not stop, a creature called Suckablood will eat her.
6. Director Baylea Hart’s “Behind The Door(2013).”
The short is unnerving but straightforward, as a young man resists letting an entity into his life that can change its voice. The creature stalking the hero of this movie is very frightening.
7. The next one on the list of 10 Underrated Horror Short Films is “Latch(2017).”
This short film has everything necessary to make a film horror. In addition to frightening makeup, it also consists of a scary chant and a strange game. Two teenagers encounter an unsettling closet in a short movie.
8. The ’80s was full of horror shorts like “Geometria (1987).”
The film is an underrated 80’s classic. A young boy summons a demon to help him pass math class in the movie. The film is horrifying as well as sweet.
9. “The Hug(2018)” was part of Hulu’s Halloween month of horror shorts.
The movie is about a naughty child who may not get what he deserves. The short is excellent but, unfortunately, not developed into a longer film.
10. The last short on our list of 10 Underrated Horror Short Films is “Monster (2005).”
‘Monster’ is a straightforward scare-fest. With its bleak and colorless world, this film gives a complete sense of fright.
So, there you have it, 10 Underrated Horror Short Films Way Better Than The Conjuring & Insidious. Go and Binge them.
Also, we would be pleased if you look at our YouTube channel and also watch the trailer for Spider-Man: No Way Home here: