Filming movies is a long complicated process. Scenes get recorded out of order, cast members don’t even see the actors performing alongside them, and sometimes, nobody on the film set has a clue what’s going on in the scenes they’re filming. Take a look at 15 actors who were clueless about the plot of the movies that they were making.
1. Brie Larson had no clue what she was doing in her Avengers: Endgame scenes. During that time, her standalone film Captain Marvel was still under production. It was unclear to her how Carol Danvers fits into Endgame and no one was making her any wiser.
2. Danny Lloyd (who played little Danny Torrance) was blissfully unaware of what was going on in The Shining. Stanley Kubrick didn’t want the 5-year-old to know the plot, so Lloyd just thought it was a drama about a family living in a hotel. He was banned from the set on the days they shot the ax scenes, and they used a lifesize doll to film the part where Wendy runs screaming through the hotel with Danny in her arms.
3. Stephen Dillane who played Stannis Baratheon in Game of Thrones had no idea what was going on in the show. Dillane didn’t understand the plot and says he regrets not knowing what he was doing.
4. Sir Alec Guinness didn’t understand the dialogues or his character of Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars. In a letter to a friend about his experience on set, the actor wrote that his dialogues were trash and they didn’t make any sense to his character.
5. The Avengers: Infinity War cast had no idea that there was anything like the snap in the movie. They were even given fake script pages. It was the morning of the shoot when the cast discovered that some of them would be disappearing.
6. Hugo Weaving had no clue what any of his lines meant in Transformers. It only took him two hours to record Megatron’s lines, but Weaving said he had no idea what he was doing and that it felt pretty meaningless.
7. When Aaron Sorkin handed the script for Steve Jobs to Michael Fassbender, a lot of the tech jargon flew over his head and he didn’t quite felt like doing the film after reading the dense script.
8. To date, Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t understand his own film Inception. Dicaprio claims he doesn’t really get involved with the story of any film he does but working with Nolan for him was like constantly trying to solve a puzzle. He’s not even sure if the movie makes sense.
9. Birds of Prey actor Bruno Oliver had no idea what the ‘Egg Sandwich’ was all about and feared his shot might get cut from the film. Oliver who played the role of a chef named Sal had no idea how the egg sandwich fit into the movie or what it meant, but he spent the night before the shoot destroying his kitchen trying to perfect it.
10. Dame Judi Dench didn’t know what was going on in her film The Chronicles of Riddick. Judi said the movie was “Tremendous fun, but I had absolutely no idea what was going on in the plot.”
11. Piper Laurie initially thought Carrie was a satirical comedy. Director Brian De Palma had to explain to her that it wasn’t quite what they were going for.
12. Sean Penn felt The Tree of Life lacked narrative and was frustrated when he was working on the film. “Frankly, I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing there and what was supposed to add in that context! What’s more, Tery himself never managed to explain it to me clearly.”
13. Sir Anthony Hopkins had no clue what his character’s motivation was in Westworld. He constantly asked the film’s crew to explain to him his character and the film’s plot but they refused and didn’t even give him his full script.
14. Sebastian Stan thought they were filming a wedding scene and not a funeral in Avengers: Endgame. Stan says when he arrived on set that day, the cast members were all dressed in normal and he was told it was for a wedding.
15. Bill Murray had no clue what he was signing up for when agreed to do Garfield. When he received the first draft of the script, he thought it was written by Joel Coen, instead of Joel Cohen. Since he always wanted to work with the Coen brothers, he immediately said yes. It was while recording in the studio that he realized the mistake that he had made.
Follow us for more updates on entertainment and celebrities on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Letterboxd