We all know why and how the second Wizarding War started. We saw Voldemort’s downfall, which eventually led him to Harry, and we know what happened next. Even though there isn’t much written, especially as the First Wizarding War, there are a lot of behind-the-scenes reveals from Rowling and Easter Eggs that tell us about the first war. If you know these details, they are going to leave you to astound because that’s how intense and scary it is. So here are the incredible facts about the first Wizarding War you never knew about:
1. The first war lasted for 11 years and started after Voldemort was the most powerful and started appearing in public. He first targeted the Ministry of Magic in 1970 and continued till October 31, 1981.
2. Yes, the Death Eaters were terrible and were creating havoc. But the Aurors were no less evil during the war. Barty Crouch Sr. legalized the use of The Unforgivable Curses, which left poor wizards and witches nowhere to go.
3. Now, if you are wondering how Voldemort was able to target the Ministry and cause all the misery, then let me tell you. The Ministry had spies like Augustus Rookwood and Ludo Bagman, who leaked the vital plans.
4. This is the saddest fact about the war. Minerva McGonagall had two brothers, one of the two, Robert McGonagall Jr., died at the hands of cruel Death Eaters. He was one of the many Muggle-borns and Half-Bloods that died so that they could induce fear.
5. Many of us must have believed that it was Sirius and Hagrid who arrived first after Voldemort faced his fate, but it isn’t true. Instead, Peter Pettigrew came first and retrieved Voldemort’s wand and kept it safe until his return.
6. During the first war, Death Eaters had their trademark costumes on at all times. Voldemort made them do it deliberately so that the Death Eaters won’t know each others’ identities. This also explains why Snape could not know about Peter Pettigrew.
7. After the war was already at its worst, the Ministry started putting the ones they suspected were Death Eaters in Azkaban. But, unfortunately, Barty Crouch Sr. carried out the sentences without conducting any fair trials in order to prove his ruthlessness. This is why Sirius Black ended up in Azkaban.
8. James and Lily Potter went into hiding immediately after they graduated from Hogwarts, and they were on the run for one whole year. However, before Dumbledore protected them, the two managed to escape Voldemort thrice.
9. The series of events that happened in the Ministry of Magic before the war became its result. The conflicts that started in the Ministry after Nobby Leach, who was a Muggle-born, became the Minister, were due to the blood supremacists. They started resigning to oppose him, and there they created the divide. This is how Voldemort’s followers began increasing.
10. Poor Giants that we saw in The Order of Phoenix were also lured in Voldemort’s side. He promised them that once he wins, they’ll be able to roam around. But after he was defeated, the Ministry of Magic sent them away to the mountains.
Which one among these facts about the First Wizarding War you found to be most incredible? Know more? Tell us in the comments.