A lot is on the line for DC Studios with the release of their forthcoming Ezra Miller venture, The Flash. Given the actor’s notorious reputation, there remains the ultimate risk of bad reception because, with their controversial history, the consequences of their past transgressions could easily befall their upcoming movie. But it looks like the production designer of The Flash couldn’t be less bothered about any of that. In fact, he’s awfully sure about the film leaving such a remarkable impression on the audience that they’d be happy to overlook Miller’s problematic past.
The Flash Crew Member Claims Ezra Miller’s History Won’t Taint the Film
Warner Bros. is pulling its weight in preparation for The Flash‘s release this summer. And while the DC fandom, for the most part, seems equally thrilled for the movie, there’s a good chunk of people wondering just how the studio is going to dodge the massive hurdle concerning the film’s lead actor. Courtesy of the deluge of controversies associated with Ezra Miller, the movie faces the imminent danger of bad press and negative reviews. But not everybody is holding their breath, least of all Paul Austerberry.
Austerberry, who serves as the production designer on The Flash, claimed he’s not “too concerned” about Miller’s legal disturbances and alleged abuse affecting the film in any way. The Academy Award winner believed that Miller, 30, has done such an impeccable job portraying the titular character, that fans would readily shrug off all the controversy they’d stirred up until now. “People will forget that,” the Canadian production designer told CBC.
The Justice League star has been the center of attention in numerous scandals. In August 2022, the Vermont State Police charged them with felony burglary after multiple bottles of liquor were taken from a house in the absence of the residents. In the same year, they’d also been arrested twice in Hawaii on account of disorderly conduct and harassment. Not to mention their Iceland altercation which took place in 2020 after a video surfaced online wherein Miller seemed to be choking a woman on the premises of a bar.
Ezra Miller’s Recovery Will Determine His Return For A Sequel
Austerberry isn’t the only one who’s hyped up The Flash to be a spectacle worth watching, even DCU co-CEO, James Gunn labeled it as “one of the greatest superhero movies” ever. Several journalists also sang high praise of the Andy Muschietti-helmed movie after its screening at CinemaCon last month. And let’s not forget that Tom Cruise claimed it to be the savior of superhero films after a private screening of the movie.
In light of all their troubles, DCU co-chief Peter Safran vouched for Miller, confirming that they’d been “committed to their recovery” and might even return as the Flash if things worked out for the best. “When the time is right, when they feel like they’re ready to have the discussion, we’ll all figure out what the best path forward is. But right now, they are completely focused on their recovery,” Safran, 57 said.
Following the horde of debacles attached to their name, the Fantastic Beasts star issued a public apology (via Variety), claiming that they’d begun to actively seek help for their “complex mental health issues.”
The Flash hits theatres on June 16, 2023.