The Marvel world is known for its lighter, funnier alternative to the dark and gritty realism of the movies. The fun and adventure of the MCU franchise have always been punctuated with gut-wrenching moments and dark reveals. On some rare occasions, the filmmakers have used the audience’s expectation of a lighter superhero movie to their advantage and created some dark moments. There were some singular, personal moments of darkness hard to overcome. Though the tone has always been optimistic, but there’s no denying of the darkness in the MCU. From The Snap in Avenger Endgame to the creation of Hex in Wanda Vision, here are the 13 darkest MCU moments.
1. Sharon Carter Is The Power Broker (The Falcon And Winter Soldier).
The series ended with a dark reveal that Sharon is the power broker, a powerful and connected figure in the criminal world. But, unfortunately, the MCU left her as a villain for the future.
2. Yelena in the Graveyard (Black Widow).
In the graveyard, Yelena is visited by The Contessa and tells her to go after Hawkeye for Natasha’s death. This scene guarantees that Yelena will be next appearing in The Hawkeye series.
3. Thanos Kills Loki (Avenger: Infinity War).
.One of the darkest moments of the MCU was when Thanos Kills Loki and, Thor watches helplessly. It sets off a chain reaction by killing the first villain of the Avenger movies, leading to even darker moments in MCU in the future.
4. Ego killed Star-Lord’s Mom (Guardian of the Galaxy Vol. 2).
Considering the light tone of the franchise, the revelation that it was Ego who killed Peter’s mother is quite dark, with this being worse that Ego is Peter’s father.
5. Tony’s vision of the Future (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Tony Stark sees his worst fears in the future vision.
6. Adrian Toomes threaten Peter Parker (Spider-Man: Homecoming).
The darkest moment ever recorded in the Marvel world was when Adrian threatens to kill Peter Parker and everyone he loves in Spider-Man: Homecoming.
7. Killmonger Becomes King (Black Panther).
After Killmonger becomes the King of Wakanda, he lodged the country into darkness. And this brought a very dark moment and TChalla to “all his lost” moment.
8. Thor Beheading of Thanos in the Avenger: Endgame was probably one of the darkest moment in the MCU.
9. Thanos sacrifices Gamora (Avenger: Infinity War).
This was the absolute darkest moment in the MCU when Thanos had to give up his favorite adopted daughter Gamora to acquire the Soul Stone.
10. John Walker murders a Flag-Smasher (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier).
When Walker murders Flag-Smasher in the crowd, the blood tarnishes the shield of Captain America, casting Walker in the darkest light possible.
11. The creation of The Hex with its disastrous consequences by Wanda Maximoff in WandaVision was one of the devastating moments in the MCU.
12. The Snap (Avenger: Infinity War).
The Snap sweeps away half of all the heroes and half of everyone on Earth and the Universe. The darkest ending of the movie was when Thor went for Thanos’s chest instead of the head, and he managed it.
13. The darkest of all is the breaking of the sacred timeline at the end of Loki’s first season.