“Wingardium Leviosa” is probably every ’90s kids’ most remembered Harry Potter charm. Hogwarts, the school, is a wonderful host to the story. It has some beautiful settings, students, and staff that lend it life and character. Some characters entered the Harry Potter storylines, hovered for a bit, and slipped away, like someone cast Wingardium Leviosa! Let’s take a look at some of those.
1. Madam Hooch is seen only in the first movie: She was their flying instructor and had a small but significant role in the film. The character is never seen later because Zoe Wanamaker had a contract for one movie only.
2. Harry stopped attending classes after Philosopher’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets. From The Prisoner Of Azkaban onwards, the drama unfolding at Hogwarts supersedes Harry’s classes. The lessons happen only when something important is about to unfold.
3. The Relationship between Viktor Krum and Hermione: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the turning point for all the characters and shows them maturing from children to young adults. Hermione and Viktor Krum meet when Hogwarts hosts the Triwizard Tournament. The books mention them keeping in touch, whereas the movies omit Krum entirely.
4. Professor Sinistra is seen, and then Poof! Disappears: Many characters did not make the journey from the book to the screen. One such teacher was Professor Sinistra, who taught Astronomy and did a cameo. An unidentified actress played the role. She appeared only in the Philosopher’s Stone and then Poof!!
5. Buckbeak, the hippogriff, is integral to the third movie. First, Hermione and Harry save Buckbeak from execution. Then he escapes with Sirius, never to be seen or heard of again.
6. Colin Creevey is Harry’s biggest fan. He was perky and cute. Unfortunately, he is seen only in The Chamber Of Secrets. After that, there is no mention of him anywhere in the series.
7. Albus Dumbledore: A Life full of Lies? Dumbledore has a troubled and murky past. The Deathly Hallows is the first time one hears of Dumbledore’s past. The movies hint at him being friends with the dark wizard- Grindelwald. He also has a sad and turbulent history with his sister Ariana.
8. Barty Crouch Jr: The end of this character was more abrupt in the movie than in the book. The Harry Potter films omitted Barty Crouch Jr explaining his escape from Azkaban and subsequently reuniting with Voldermort. It also misses him getting the Dementor’s kiss for his crimes.
9. Charlie is mentioned in the books but missing from the movies. He is present for the last battle against Voldemort in the Deathly Hallows like the rest of the Weasleys.
10. The Mirror of Erised served an essential purpose in the first movie. Dumbledore tells Harry that the mirror is being shifted to a safe place, never to be seen again.
11. The relationship Between Harry Potter and Cho Chang starts in The Goblet Of Fire and matures in the Order Of Phoenix. But the breakup is treated very differently in the movies and the books. Cho becomes a cameo character following her break up with Harry.
12. Where is Gilderoy Lockhart? Another character who appeared in only one movie was Gilderoy Lockhart. He is all style and no substance and is exposed as a fraud in the Chamber Of Secrets. In the books, Hermione, Harry, and Ron meet him at St Mungo’s hospital in Harry Potter & Order Of The Phoenix.